Saturday, September 8, 2012

Priceless Treasures

"My Sister's Quilt". The twin to the one I made for my Sister.
Now that fall is in the air it is time to pull out all of the quilts. There are always a few favorites that remain out through the summer. But with the coolness in the air coming on, all of the others get to come out and be used in some place or another around our home. I have a small handful of heirloom quilts that are at least 100 years old. These hang on the wall or stay folded in a nook in our den where they can be seen and appreciated but not used. Many of the quilts I have were made by my Mother-in-law who is an expert quilter and several others were made by my Mom who is an accomplished seamstress. So one could say that the crazy-ness of cutting up perfectly fine fabric and then stitching it back together again runs in my blood. One of my most favorite quilts is one that I made for my dear Sister. Actually it was two quilts that I made at the same time. Twin quilts. One for her and one for me. This quilt, "My Sister's Quilt", is one that is always out and always on the end of the couch or in the chair where I happen to be sitting in the evening. My Sister keeps hers in the same place and uses hers like I use mine. I find comfort in this quilt knowing this and her love for her quilt. Even in the summer I cover up with it. I have made several others as well and sent them to loved ones out of state. I have also made some that have remained here in our home. There is something therapeutic in this crazy-ness of cutting up perfectly fine fabric so it can be stitched back together again. I can't really put my finger on the exact reason why, I just know that it is. Receiving a quilt that has been stitched just for you runs parallel to receiving something priceless.                                 

9 comments:

  1. Having one quilt for you and one for your sister is such a great idea. I have a quilt on my bed that I sleep under every single night. Whether it's 20 degrees outside or 90 degrees. My husband thinks I'm nuts, because we could probably use less AC if I would switch to a light blanket, but I am so used to this quilt that I don't want to give it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old favorites hold such a great comfort it would be nuts to remove it from it's place on your bed.

      Delete
  2. I whole-heartedly agree with your perspective :)
    There is a comfort, and coziness that only a hand stitched quilt can offer.
    Certainly, it has something to do with the love that is put into each, and every stitch.

    How wonderful that you and your sister each have a quilt.
    What a great idea!

    Thank you for this wonderful post.
    Hope you enjoy the remainder of your weekend.

    *smile
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening~

    What a beautiful quilt! I too love to take apart perfectly fine fabrics and sew them back together. And you are right, it is VERY therapeutic indeed.

    I love the whole idea of a sister quilt. I am blessed to still have three sisters and I think this is the PERFECT Christmas gift for all of them. THANK YOU for the inspiration.

    So much love goes into every stitch. They are definitely a priceless gift!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to have offered you inspiration. When you are done with those quilts for your sisters show pictures. Would love to see them. You are so right there is so much love that goes into the quilts-from beginning to end.

      Delete
  4. Hi Snooks!
    Stopping in to invite you to my first, weekly Blog Hop! I’d love to have you link up with us!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/clever-chicks-blog-hop-1.html
    Cheers,
    Kathy
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathy, Sorry to have missed the blog hop. I have been away since the middle of September and am now just able to return to having a bit of time to spend with the computer. I will most certainly stop by your blog for a visit.

      Delete
  5. What? 100 year old quilts? It's unbelieveable but I believe it. Great blog. No wonder why you have so many friends here. Thanks.

    acfi documentation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes truly an amazing thing. The fabric is old and very delicate but the few of the precious old gems that I do have were made my my husbands grandmothers mother and have been folded and tucked away in the safety of an old chest through the years. These few are the ones that made it still holding tight to their stitches and why they remain folded and stored on a shelf in our library to be appreciated by the eye. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...