Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Coop and Run

Here's an update on our chicken coop and run. It's been a while since I have posted on it. I wanted to show it from start to finish. The footprint of the coop is a 4' x 8' floor base made from reclaimed wood. The bones of the coop were purchased from the local home supply store. This picture is one weekend of progress. Working between rain and snow showers. 
 We also ended up purchasing the sheathing for the walls at the local home supply  store - to enable us to keep moving forward with being able to complete the coop in a timely manner. This picture also shows a weekends progress. Once again working in between rain, snow and this time hail showers.







Close to getting the coop complete. To get the barn "look" that we were looking for we nailed fence pickets to the sheathing. Later in the week my husband and I each took turns at staining the wood. So glad we stained when we did. The days to follow we had heavy rain for two days straight.








Here you can see the coop stained. With the run. The run took a weekend to complete. The run is all done. The coop still needs roofing which will come in time. The nesting boxes and the roost still need to be placed as well. Not too shabby I think. I am quite pleased.

From drawing on paper to actual coop and run in the backyard! Very fun to watch it come to life. Lots of hard work too. I am so very thankful to my husband and brother-n-law for all that they did. I am very excited to fill it with chickens.

6 comments:

  1. Wow!!! It's beautiful! Congrats. You are so right, it's so great when it's done and you have the joy of putting chickens in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you, I am LOVIN' your coop! Great job, you guys....I know your babies will be very happy in their new home!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT is one cool chicken house and the attached run...Wow. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you all of you. Certainly worth all of the hard work. I have to be honest though, my husband and brother-in-law really pulled it out for this one. I was the architect and helped where I could. They did all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it.. I guess that answers my question. Beautiful..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...